After Piercing Care
Though post-piercing complications are rare when using Studex(R) products as directed, statistics show that by far the greatest percentage of all post piercing complications are caused through negligent after care procedures performed by the customer. In order to promote a trouble-free healing process, all customers receiving an ear piercing with Studex(R) products should observe the following after care advice:
- Wash hands thoroughly before touching studs or ears.
- Cleanse front and back of ear with Studex(R) After Care Lotion twice a day without removing studs.
Then rotate studs 2 or 3 times, 180% left and 180% right, i.e.. 1/2 turns only, thus avoiding hair wrapping around the post at the back of the lobe. In between cleansing, keep ears DRY.
- Remove the studs or handle your ears and/or studs unnecessarily
- Push the butterfly along the post towards the ear – the butterfly must always be positioned at the top of the post. Feel the back of the butterfly each time you cleanse the ear – it must feel smooth.
- Leave studs in ears for 6 weeks continuously (12 weeks for cartilage).
- After 6 weeks (12 weeks for cartilage), the studs can be removed and other post type earrings may be worn continuously.
- Use only post-type earrings continuously for the first 5 months from piercing (12 months for cartilage). The post should be surgical stainless steel or other hypoallergenic material.
- Keep hairspray, soap, shampoo and other preparations away from the ear. After shampooing the ear should be rinsed with clean water and then prepared with a Studex(R) supplied Ear Care product as described above.
- Minor pain/redness may occur immediately – this is normal. This should settle within 48 hours provided proper after care is carried out. If undue pain/swelling/redness occurs at any time, seek medical advice immediately, before removing the ear-piercing stud.
Due to the nature of ear cartilage, extra care should be taken during the healing period. Minor pain/redness may occur immediately – this is normal. This should settle within 48 hours provided proper after care is carried out. If undue pain/swelling/redness occurs at any time, seek medical advice immediately, before removing the ear-piercing stud. Failure to properly follow after care procedures or to seek immediate medical advice should a problem occur may result in permanent scarring to the ear cartilage.